What comes to mind when you think of St. Patrick’s Day food? Most of us think of that infamous Irish dish, corned beef with cabbage. However, with spring’s rapid approach, many of us are looking to ditch heavy, rich meals in favor of something a little lighter. In the spirit of both healthy eating and St. Patrick’s Day, here are 5 green family-friendly meals.
- Lemony Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry (from Skinnytaste). A stir fry is always a quick weeknight option, and this one won’t bust your calorie budget. Serve it with brown rice (mix in some edamame for added nutrition and festivity).
- Slow-Cooker Chicken and White Beans with Kale Pesto (from Henry Happened). The slow cooker is a weeknight cook’s best friend, and I love finding healthy slow cooker recipes like this one. This meal requires minimal prep work: cooking the onions and garlic a little to soften them (although I imagine this step could be omitted if necessary) and making the pesto with the help of a food processor.
- Pistachio-Crusted Salmon (from Fitness Magazine). Turn St. Patrick’s Day dinner into an elegant affair with this special occasion-worthy entrée. Serve this salmon with roasted baby potatoes and a spinach and orange salad.
- Is pizza your go-to meal? This White Pizza with Lemony Greens (from Take a Megabite) combines salad and main dish, all in one slice.
- If you’re entertaining a crowd, nothing beats tacos. Try these Fish Tacos with Avocado Sauce and Green Rice (from Rachael Ray). This meal is bursting with color and flavor, which makes it an instant crowd-pleaser. To up the health-factor even more, substitute the sour cream for low fat Greek yogurt in the avocado sauce.
Have a happy, healthy St. Patrick’s Day!